Quantcast
Channel: News
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 18052

Faria: Ferry impasse was avoidable

$
0
0
Published: 
Wednesday, April 12, 2017

T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce CEO Gabriel Faria says the chamber “stands firmly behind a transparent procurement process” in the acquisition of an inter-island cargo ferry.

His comment came after Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley yesterday raised concerns that the Chamber seemed to have change its position on procurement in the issue of the acquisition of a vessel for the inter-island service.

Speaking about the issue during yesterday’s Morning Brew on CNC3, Rowley said: “There was a time when the chamber was strong in saying we want proper procurement mechanisms, because good procurement would protect us from corruption. We have an issue with the boat and all of a sudden procurement is not an issue any more.”

A similar concern was raised by Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan.

But in response to this yesterday, Faria told the T&T Guardian: “We have no preference or inclination to any provider of the service. We want to ensure that the people of Trinidad and Tobago can get a transparent deal.”

He explained that the only reason the Tobago Chamber had been advising the minister to speak with the current provider, Inter-Continental, was because “he presented an option. He identified a solution by the end of the April. It allows, rather than making a long term decision in haste, for Tobago to operate with a level of normalcy, while a decision is taken to benefit the country.”

Faria said the Chamber also wants to ensure that the country benefits from a solution that is “cost efficient and which will ensure a high level of service,” adding they were “extremely concerned at the current situation, which did not have to happen at all.”

The Tobago Chamber, he said, had received a letter dated May 31, 2016, from the Ministry of Works and Transport which stated that based on the recommendations of the Port Authority of T&T (PATT), approval had been granted for an 18-month contract for the Super fast Galicia ending in October 2017 and that steps were being taken regarding the execution of an agreement.

At that time, he said “the Tobago business community was relieved that there appeared to be a solution, only to be told that the tender had been scrapped.” He said it was because of this that there was the current “level of disdain with the Tobago Business community.”

He said it was “unfortunate that knowing the situation was going to happen, a more pro-active attempt was not made to deal with the matter. This was known since last year. We now hope that the port and the minister will do what is right for the people of Trinidad and Tobago.”

Faria admitted that while the solution of the barge proposed by the minister was not ideal, “between the time the Galicia leaves and a new boat coming there will be a period when we will have to use other methods.”

The chamber, he said, has contacted its members and other businesses in Tobago, advising them to stock up before the Galicia leaves. This, he said, would at least assist for a while.

Faria said the big concern is that the consumers of Tobago will be negatively affected all round without a solution. He said in light of this people are “very emotional because of the significant impact this could have on their lives and livelihoods.”

In an effort to better understand why the situation evolved as it did, Faria met with the local agent of the Galicia, John Powell, managing director of Inter-Continental, on Tuesday. He also spoke with former works and transport Minister Stephen Cadiz, Finance Minister Colm Imbert and Sinanan.

“We now have a much more complete picture,” he said.

A meeting is also being scheduled with the Port Authority board.


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 18052

Trending Articles



<script src="https://jsc.adskeeper.com/r/s/rssing.com.1596347.js" async> </script>